SEGA has revealed a new gameplay style in Sonic Forces – customizable characters. Players can create their own original Hero Character and customize how the character plays and how it looks. A new trailer was released to show this off. You can check it out below:
In this gameplay style, you will be able to equip your custom Hero Character with one of a variety of gadgets called Wispons – weapons which double as offensive abilities and a way to platform through levels quickly. Along with the Wispon, the Hero Character will have a grappling hook they can utilize to quickly traverse across zones. Players can also customize the Hero Character’s looks by choosing and swapping between hundreds of accessories and outfit options to change the character’s appearance as they play through the game.
There are seven base animal types that players can select from, each with varying special abilities:
- Wolf – Automatically draws in rings when near them
- Rabbit – Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
- Cat – Keeps one ring after being hit
- Dog – Restarts with five rings after the player dies
- Bear – Blows away enemies with a homing attack
- Bird – Flies high with double jump abilities
- Hedgehog – Collects rings when getting damaged
No matter what Hero the player chooses to create, it will be featured throughout the entire game. In a first for the Sonic franchise, a character the player creates will be a key part of the story, appearing not only in cut scenes, but by being a crucial element in helping Sonic reclaim the world from Eggman’s domination.
Sonic Forces will be available for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, & PC this Holiday.